Disaster Response to Hurricanes Irma, Jose & Maria
Hurricanes Jose and Maria have caused catastrophic destruction to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Significant damage to buildings and a complete loss of power and cell towers has made it very difficult to connect with members and coordinate disaster response. We are in intermittent contact with the AIA leadership in both areas where they are summoning local architects to perform safety assessments.
How to help
At this time, the life safety and health of Puerto Ricans is quite critical. They need support with basic needs: water, food, and medicine. We encourage you to donate funds to a trusted organization, so that the most important resources get to those in need:
United for Puerto Rico by Puerto Rico’s First Lady, Beatriz Rossello
One America Appeal organized for hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria by the five living former U.S. Presidents
All Hands Volunteers – USVI hurricane response and Texas hurricane Harvey response
At this time, we do not have member volunteer opportunities to assist with Hurricanes Irma, Jose and Maria. Contact the voluntary organization of your choice through the National Voluntary Agencies Active in Disasters (NVOAD) for other ways to engage.
Architects engaging in hurricane recovery
AIA Miami trained 70 new volunteers for safety assessments of buildings this past week. AIA Florida is connecting those in need of assistance in the Caribbean region through their Facebook page. Learn more >
Our hearts go out to those impacted by these tragic storms.
Information for firms, members, and clients
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation Disaster Help Desk for Business to navigate the recovery process. Learn more >
- Residents and business owners in designated areas who sustained damage should apply for assistance by registering online at DisasterAssistance.Gov. Register here >
- The FEMA mobile app for directions to open shelters and weather alerts. Download >
- FEMA – Transitional Sheltering Assistance (TSA) and Rental Assistance Learn more >
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – FEMA Operation Blue Roof Learn more >
- Small businesses can contract with the federal government to assist in relief and recovery efforts following a major disaster. Learn more >
- Loans from the Small Business Administration Learn more >